The vision and mission of the Hanson Film Institute is aligned with the mission and strategic goals of The University of Arizona and its College of Fine Arts. The Institute serves The University and its students by increasing student engagement, achievement, retention, and graduation rate.
One of the Institute's primary program goals is to develop learning opportunities for degree seeking University of Arizona students that enhances the academic program environment to further student understanding of the art and business of film and its ancillary outlets, such as television. The Institute is especially concerned with the professional development of students pursuing a career in the media industry. The Institute accomplishes this primarily through its Student Professional Development Support Program that provides internship scholarships and travel grants.
Current Programs For Students
- Coordination and support of workshops and seminars for students and public
- Competitive funds to UA students for attendance at media industry conferences, workshops, film festivals
- Competitive funds to UA students to complete professional internships
- Coordination and support of University of Arizona alumni in the media industry as guest speakers
- Coordination of professional mentorship program (not yet implemented)
- Coordination and support of visits by diverse film and television professionals for presentations, including screenings and talks on and off campus
- Support for media organizations that provide professional development programs, in particular NALIP (National Association for Latino Independent Producers) Producers Academy™ held in Tucson with Institute support since 2005
- Funds for Research Fellows/Graduate Teaching Assistantships to support scholarly investigation (not yet implemented)
- Funds for student research internships (not yet implemented)
- Support for conference on research methods and practices (not yet implemented)
- Support for research project with a major media organization (not yet implemented)